GetAway with my Sony NEX-VG30 Handycam


Going to Big Island, Hawaii on our 11th wedding anniversary, I decided to buy a camcorder that captures high definition video. I wanted to capture all the moments that me and Katie spends before I go back to Iraq. By the way my name is Nathan Kobe, United States Marine Corps, 4th Marine Division. 

But buying a camcorder is not an easy job when you have so many options in the market. Luckily, Katie’s brother is a professional photographer and he suggested me the latest Sony NEX-VG30 Camcorder. I had no idea about the camcorder but as I started to read the reviews, I knew that this is best I could get my hands on.  Not waiting anymore I bought it the next day and I was amazed by it. The video and sound quality is nothing what I have seen till date. So I thought I will write a review myself after using it for two months.

The Sony NEX-VG30 Camcorder is just amazing, the quality of the video from the 16.1 mega pixel Exmor APS-C sized CMOS sensor is unmatched. It takes 1080 × 1920 video recording resolution at 24p/60p.



Design:-


The camera has a new slick and glossy design which fits properly in your hand. Even though it might look bulky for some people, but trust me it’s extremely easy to carry along. The camera is around 1.4 pounds or 640 grams in weight and 12.4 x 6.6 x 8.5 inches. Due to use of lithium battery the weight is drastically reduced. 


Specification:-


The Sony NEX-VG30 High Definition Camcorder is the best performing, highest quality high definition digital camcorder in the market.  With 19 times the surface area of a usual camcorder the 16.1 mega pixel camcorder records full HD video at 4912 x 3264 p and captures photo at 6 frames per second.


16.1MP Exmor APS-C CMOS Sensor:-


The 16.6 mp Exmor APS-C CMOS Sensor (23.5 x 15.6mm) allows taking cinematic videos in even low noise characteristics. The APS sensor in the camcorder is around 19 times bigger than typical camcorder which makes the camcorder to easy to record or capture in poorest of condition.


XGA OLED True-Finder EVF with Eye Sensor:- 


The OLED viewfinder is excellent and the user sees the results of the adjustment in real time, with 2359K dot resolution and a high contrast ratio where the images comes out with richness, detail and clarity.


Direct Power Zoom with Variable Speed:- 


The camcorder allows 2x zoom with power zoom control. It also features the new powered zoom seesaw leveler for constant speed of electronic zooming. The leveler can be used for both variable and fixed focal length lenses.


Quad Capsule Spatial Array Microphone:-


The built in microphone is Quad Capsule Spatial Array stereo microphone that has four precision placed at the angle of 45 degree for exceptional sound quality. This microphone can record outstanding audio even in noisy environment.


Microphone Jack with Audio Level Control:-


It allows 3.5 mm dedicated mic and headphone inputs for attaching the external microphone or headphones. 


25-point Auto Focus:-


The 25 AF point allows covering a wide area of the scene for accurate focusing.

Manual Control:-


The manual control allows you tweak around for the best shot at any light. It’s quite easy and allows the user to manually focus and exposure adjustment.


Picture Effects:-


This feature allows the user to add expression to the photos and the videos. It allows ordinary picture or video to come alive.


Anti-Dust Technology:-


This is one of the new feature where the anti dust technology keeps the Exmor APS-C CMOS Sensor clean and allows you to take picture or video in constant excellent quality. It repels dust from sensor when one is changing lenses in between video sessions.


Removable Flash Media slot:-


Its houses Memory Stick Duo™ / Memory Stick PRO Duo™ / Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™ media and SD/SDHC/SDXC media for your video and images.



Performance and Features



I was simply awed by the level of clarity in the videos and images captured by the NEX-VG30. The videos and pictures that I have taken in Hawaii are spotless and look cinematic. The BIONZ image processor handles the large 14-bit data generated by the full-frame sensor to deliver at a fast speed and performance. The processor allows noise reduction and enhances the sound quality.


I have seen the quality of the images and video and I have no doubt that I have chosen the best camcorder out there. For an amateur videographer like me, I have captured cinematic videos on the beaches of Hawaii. This trip was memorable and will remain alive because of my amazing Sony NEX-VG30 HD Camcorder. I have no problem recommending this camcorder to my friends in marine or my family. This is a must have for anyone looking to buy a camcorder. 


1 comment:

  1. Nice! Larger sensor size, more stability in taking photos and HD quality and clarity images with low noise reduction is key features in ICL users like me. I am done with my Samsung NX1000 getting this new Sony NEX-VG30. Good review! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete